SharePoint 2010: How to Register Managed Accounts via PowerShell
Register Managed Accounts in SharePoint 2010 via PowerShell
In SharePoint 2010 there is a concept called Managed Accounts. You are able to register Active Directory accounts which you can manage via the SharePoint 2010 interface (via Security > General Security > Configure Managed Accounts).
A managed account can have different advantages:
– Credentials are managed and maintained by SharePoint
– When you use a managed account when registering a new Service Application you don’t need to know the credentials
This article describes how to register managed accounts in bulk.
The solution is just one PowerShell script that uses new-SPManagedAccount cmdlet of SharePoint 2010 Management Shell. It uses the Import-CSV cmdlet to import a csv file in bulk.
To complete this how-to, you must have the following prerequisites must be met:
– A domain account that can log on to one of the SharePoint 2010 servers
– A domain account that has privileges to manage SharePoint 2010 via PowerShell (SPShellAdmin role)
1. Create a csv file with two columns, UserName and Password
2. Run the Powershell script in SharePoint 2010 Management Shell via the following command
Bill Baer – Managed Accounts
Gallery Technet – Create New Managed Accounts
Technet – Configure automatic password change (SharePoint Server 2010)
Technet – Get-SPShellAdmin
Technet – New-SPManagedAccount
Technet – Import-CSV
23-06-2014 – 1.0